Are you from Canada and looking for a change? Perhaps you’re looking for a more…. Mediterranean climate? Or perhaps you just want to experience life in the heart of Europe? If this is the case for you, then Spain could be the perfect option. There are a couple of things to bear in mind if you are planning to immigrate to Spain from Canada, whether you are travelling, planning to live, studying or any other reason. This article will aim to give you an idea of some of the things to bear in mind before planning your trip.

Immigrate to Spain from Canada

If you wish to immigrate to Spain from Canada, there are several things that you have to keep in mind. When you are planning to move to Spain from Canada, you have to be aware of all the administrative transactions and paperwork that you have to do. Passport, visa, photos, medical insurance, etc. There are a lot of documents and requirements that you need before getting into a plane.

Depending on the purpose of your immigration, you will need to gather different documents. We recommend getting advice directly from a Spanish immigration lawyer. Our immigration lawyers in Spain are ready to respond to questions like “Do I need a visa to visit Spain from Canada?” or “How long can a Canadian stay in Spain?”, and similar.


Going on Holiday to Spain

If you are planning a trip to go on holiday to Spain, you will not need a visa for this. On arrival, your passport will be stamped and you will be permitted to stay for 90 days in a 180 day period, which is the same for all countries situated in the Schengen areas. However, if you were not able to get a stamp on arrival, and you entered through an internal border, you will have to take it upon yourself to go to the local police station within the first 72 hours in order to get this stamp if you plan to stay for an extended period of time. This will be more beneficial to you, as you will not face any difficulties proving the legality of your stay.

Immigrating to Spain From Canada – Residency and Work

Like all other non-EU member states,  if you wish to live, study or work in Spain you cannot apply for this from within Spain.  Canadians and all citizens of non-European Union (EU) countries will need to have a visa from the Spanish consulate in their home country. This cannot be obtained in Spain once you have arrived, so it is vital you have this organized beforehand. You must have obtained the visa if you plan to:

  • Be legally employed in Spain
  • Reside in Spain for a period of more than 90 days or;
  • Study in Spain for a period of more than 90 days

If you decide to change your status whilst you are in Spain as a non-EU visitor you will be unable to do so. That is to say, if you wish to change your status to that of a student, resident or employee it is not possible to do it internally in Spain. These must be made in Canada to the Spanish consulate there.

Spanish visa for Canadians: permanent resident

The Spanish visa for Canadians will allow you to immigrate to Spain from Canada as a permanent resident. Note that there are two kinds of residents in Spain: temporary and permanent. If your plans are living in Spain as a Canadian for more than five years, you have to get a permanent residence. 

The permanent residence can be acquired by living legally in Spain for five years continuously. Furthermore, you will have to meet certain criteria that Spain’s laws contemplate. If this isn’t your case, you might consider applying for a temporary residence. This one allows you to live in Spain for a period between 90 days and 5 years. 

Living in Spain as a Canadian

Living in Spain as a Canadian frequently have one of these reasons: job or study plans. A good Spanish immigrant lawyer could be very useful for helping you immigrate to Spain from Canada and reach your first step in your job or study goals in this magnificent country. 

Working in Spain as a Canadian

To get work in Spain as a Canadian is very easy if you have your documents in order. If a job is the main reason you desire to immigrate to Spain from Canada, you need these documents at hand: a valid passport, a recent medical report, the needed application forms, and to have paid the applying fees. Also, it’s good to always have passport size photos, just in case.

Also, to be able to get a job in Spain as a Canadian, you will need a pre-contract from your potential employer.

So, to summarize:

  • Passport
  • A recent medical report
  • All completed application forms
  • Additional fees
  • Passport size photos
  • A pre-contract from your potential employer

Having a Spanish Immigration Lawyer like our team at Carbray will help get your Visa in less time and with no-hassle. 

Studying in Spain as a Canadian

Contrary to work, studying in Spain as a Canadian can be much easier. Immigrating to Spain from Canada for academic purposes is a really interesting idea because you can immerse yourself in Spanish culture. Spain has several good universities where you can enroll and get an official admission letter. This acceptance letter from a relevant institution is the most important requirement to acquire a student visa. 

Moreover, you will have to prove that you can afford your expenses while in your studying period. Medical insurance will be required by the embassy through this process. Before all of this, be sure to complete all the application forms required.  

So, to summarize:

  • Passport
  • A recent medical report
  • All completed application forms
  • Additional fees
  • Passport size photos
  • A valid admission letter

Contact Us here and we will call you back instantly.

11 + 5 =

What Documentation Do You Need?

The documentation needed for your visa application form varies depending on your reason for coming to Spain. However, this may include:

  1. A valid passport
  2. All completed application forms
  3. Passport sized photos
  4. A recent and up-to-date medical report
  5. A certificate from the police showing your record (issued by the RCMP)
  6. Additional fees

Those who wish to apply for a visa to work in Spain will also need to have:

7. A pre-contract from your potential employer

Students wishing to apply to study must have:

8. An acceptance letter from the relevant institution

9. Proof that you have medical insurance

10. Proof that you have the financial means to support yourself on your stay

Canadians requesting the Youth Mobility Agreement between Canada and Spain will also require:
11. Proof that the applicant resides in Canada (drivers license, documentation or provincial health card)

12.  Ticket of return –or if this has not been purchased, proof that the applicant will be able to afford the ticket

13.  Proof that you have financial support and reliability

14.  Be aware that other documents may be requested depending on what category you request the youth mobility visa.

Those who are looking to immigrate to Spain from Canada to retire will need the documentation mentioned in points 9. and 10.

Immigrating to Spain from Canada – How to Obtain Your Work Permits

The employer in Spain must first submit an application on behalf of the employee to the provincial office of the Ministry of Labour in Spain (“Delegación Provinical del Ministerio de Trabajo e Inmigración).  Once this has been submitted a copy of this application with the stamp of the said office and a file number (otherwise known as a N.E.V), is then given to the employer for the employee. The employee is then required to submit this application when applying in Canada at the Spanish Consulate. The employee should make sure to bring all other documentation along with him, corresponding from the above list.

The next step is for the Spanish Consulate to inform the Regional Labour office in Spain that the visa application has been submitted which in turn will begin the processing of the application. Bear in mind that the work permit can take from five to eight months to be processed. If and when the contract is accepted, the Spanish Consulate will be informed by the Labour Office in Canada through the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the visa has been approved and can be issued.
Also, take into consideration that if the stay is longer than six months, the applicant of the visa should apply for a foreigners ID card (TIE) through the foreigners office in Spain (otherwise known as the “Oficina de Extranjería) within the first 30 days of their arrival in Spain.
Immigrating to Spain from Canada doesn´t have to be difficult. There may seem like a mountain of tasks to complete, but its never as bad as it seems. If you require further assistance, or professional advice, enquire at Carbray today for your free consultation and we will be happy to help.

Why choose Carbray to help you to immigrate to Spain from Canada?

Carbray offers many benefits to all clients who are looking for to immigrate to Spain from Canada. Our lawyers have over 20 years of experience with thousands of successful cases, proving our capability in this competitive market. We are proud to have a dedicated English speaking team of Lawyers with extensive knowledge of the Spanish Immigration Law for Canadians. We offer competitive prices and a hands-on approach that guarantees results.

As the Top Rated Immigration Law Firm in Spain, we have gained the respect, trust, and confidence of our clients. Whether you want to enroll in a university in Spain or if you are seeking a work permit in Spain we are can help you through the whole process.

Mother tongue

Our team of Multilingual Lawyers offers expert Legal advice in English, Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, Turk and more. Having an English Speaking Lawyer will make the process of moving to Spain from Canada a lot more easier.

Flexible Prices

Our English Speaking Immigration Lawyers offer flexible prices suited for you. We make sure that you only pay what you have to, avoiding the payment of extra fees so there are no unpleasant surprises down the line.


We provide high quality comprehensive services to all our clients. Moving to Spain from Canada can be a stressful time, but we make sure to deliver successful results while taking you through the whole process.


We take care of the whole process of immigrating to Spain from Canada with all discretion. Our job is to help you to reach your visa o work permit with as little inconveniences as possible. 

Personalized service

We offer a personalized service for all our clients: we will help you when and where you need us to. Our English Lawyers will assist you in every step of your immigration to Spain from Canada.


Our team of Professional Lawyers experts in Immigration Law are the best in Spain and will give you expert and honest advice in your process for obtaining a work or student permit in Spain as a Canadian.

FAQs about Immigrate to Spain from Canada

Do I need a visa to visit Spain from Canada?

If you are planning to visit Spain as a tourist and not immigrate to Spain from Canada, you would not need a visa for that. All Canadians are allowed to stay in Spain for up to 90 days without any visa.

How long can a Canadian stay in Spain?

As we mentioned above, you could stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days with just your passport. Although, you’ll have to wait another 90 days to enter Spain after that lapse. Keep in mind that if you have an EU citizenship you could stay in Spain more time with no problems. 

How to move to Spain from Canada?

Another frequent question is about how to move to Spain from Canada. Remember, if your plans are for a long time, you’ll need a permanent residency from Spain. The process needs several administrative transactions. 

Using cookies

This website uses cookies in order to give you a personalised and highly responsive experience. By continuing to use this website, you accept the use of cookies and therefore accept our cookies policies.

Aviso de cookies