Obtaining Portugal citizenship offers benefits beyond those of permanent residence, including EU rights, visa-free entry to 187 countries, a citizen card and freedom to live, work and study in any EU country.
Starting the Portuguese citizenship process might seem overwhelming, especially when the steps to take vary depending on each individual situation. With the help of our dedicated team of Portugal immigration lawyers, you will receive the guidance and support needed to successfully obtain this nationality.
Who can apply for Portuguese citizenship?
There are different routes that indicate who can apply for Portuguese citizenship. Our team will help you navigate the following nationality processes that will allow you to get a Portuguese passport:
- Portuguese citizenship through marriage
- Portuguese citizenship through birth
- Attribution of Portuguese Nationality or “ius sanguinis” (passed down from your ancestors)
- Portugal citizenship through residence
The Portuguese nationality offers incredible benefits, like EU rights, visa-free entry to 187 countries, a citizen card and freedom to live, work and study in any EU country. Portugal even allows for dual citizenship, so you won’t be obligated to renounce your previous citizenship.
With our help, you’ll be able to take this important step in your life confident that every detail has been taken care of by an expert.
Let us open the door to an exciting new future.
How to get Portuguese citizenship?
With over a decade of experience and a commitment to ongoing training and research, we have the knowledge and expertise to provide you with up-to-the-minute advice, so you can understand how to get your Portuguese citizenship:
- Our Portuguese immigration lawyers will provide you with a full breakdown of all the requirements, including a checklist of documents and the necessary formats and translations.
- Once you have gathered all the necessary documentation and had it legally certified, you can apply for Portuguese citizenship by mail or in person, with the assistance of a lawyer, at the Civil Registry. The process may take between 1 and 2 years, depending on the grounds for your application and the requirements for Portuguese nationality.
- After a favourable decision is made, the Portuguese Civil Registry will register your birth as a Portuguese citizen, and after that, you will be allowed to apply for your official citizen card and Portuguese passport.
Our immigration lawyers in Lisbon will streamline the process of obtaining Portuguese nationality
Maybe you’ve known about your heritage for a while but getting the process started seemed overwhelming. Or maybe you’ve spent hours online studying the legal requirements, comparing outdated information on faceless websites, and getting lost in bureaucratic jargon.
No matter your situation, at Carbray we understand that the process of obtaining Portuguese nationality is not just about the paperwork. It’s about opening up a world of possibilities, including access to special benefits and the freedom that comes with having a second nationality.
Our dedicated team of lawyers will take care of everything on your behalf, so you don’t have to worry about the overwhelming and time-consuming aspects of the process. We’ll keep you informed every step of the way, and provide you with all the local knowledge and advice you need.
Our next success story is yours.
Contact us today!
Your go-to international legal
team in Portugal
Don’t take our word for it! Check out what our former clients have to say about us
We offer a range of solutions for your legal needs in Spain.
Let's open the door to a brighter new future in Spain.
Fulfill your dream of retiring on the idyllic Mediterranean coast. We can help bring your family with you.
Establish your business in the entrepreneurial Spanish hub with our legal guidance.
Study in one of the favorite destinations for all international students.